Monday 1 December 2008

Scenes From A Friday Night





A good time was had by all. Some of us stayed up too late & then got up too early.

See this here review from

http://lastnightfromglasgowindieeyespy.blogspot.com/

I had a moment of introspection the other day, wondering what would have happened if I never got to London, if my flight from Glasgow was never instigated last year. Since records began the plan had always been to move to London, see The Loves. I did it 18 months ago and still get a warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy when I stand at the edge of the Buffalo Bar watching The Loves on stage. No matter what else is happening in my life, I know that just here, things are going to plan.The sound's not so good at the edge of the bar, too close to the guitar amps, not enough vocals, so I wonder about to find a sweet spot. The line-up's changed over the years, 30 members according to the internet. Has it really been a decade since I was at the Roadhouse in Manchester with Pnos telling me about them? They have a new rhythm guitarist, Jerome, leather jacket, easy chords, drummer from Pocketbooks, and I don't recognise the keyboard player.They play a lot of newish songs from their new album Three, out on Fortuna Pop in January, and even a song from the next album after that Jenna sings, a soul club number, which requires more subdued lighting and the smoking ban lifted. Their set finishes with a seque into their evergreen classic Little Girl Blues, sounding as fresh as it did in the Peel session days.

Except for the bit about it being 10 years since Pnos told him about us (I met Pnos in late 1999) & Gerard's name change I think it's quite a good piece...

Thanks to plasticpancake for the photos...

No comments: